Shades of Wyldemor

Shades of Wyldemor
Click on the banner for a visit

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jenny's Hands




Jennifer Caroline Johnson Salmonson....my grandmother was born on May 23, 1894. One of fourteen children she knew how to make do... One hundred and one years later we said goodbye to her. I remember how beautiful Gram was to me....She smelled like ponds cold creme and fresh bread and egg coffee. I have yet to see a house as clean as her magnificent Victorian. The walnut wood always was polished to a high sheen and on holidays decorated. The tulips and daffodils she planted were tucked in vases through out the house. The dining room table was laden on Easter with hams, pickled beets, deviled eggs, rutabagas, scalloped potatoes, green beans, and creamed peas.... her homemade Parker house rolls.... Her spice cake, cinnamon rolls, coffee cakes and doughnuts were staples that I grew accustomed to. Her hands ...always crocheting lace for sheets, baby blankets and pillow cases...her knitting was so fine I still have never seen anyone who could compare. When she was old her hands still held a grace to them... I remember on Easter Sundays her impeccable taste...White gloves, pale suit, stylish hat with a little net on it and spectator shoes. When we walked into church I was so proud of her... Treasured memories of a little girl who is now a Grandmother.... I hope my home reflects the many memories my Grandmother gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment